27 September 2012

Kingston University: Day 3, Secret Cinema

Today's project has a pretty obvious objective from the name: drawing from films. I actually really enjoyed the process, despite my stressed out mood all day, but to be honest, I really didn't enjoy my outcomes. It seems nobody else did either, but what can you do eh... Although I think I enjoyed two parts best which I will elaborate into shortly.

I hadn't seen any of the films we were shown today, so it was really nice to see some pretty famous clips and classics, even if they were in slow motion. Our first was a 12 minute piece by John Smith called The Girl Chewing Gum, made in 1976. My piece turned out to be a mess (which is...I suppose, what I generally like...), which after seeing what others had done was a little disappointing in comparison. I love some of the pieces others had done, I kind of wish I had some pictures. The film was a really interesting concept, so it's one worth watching!



The second was involving storyboard...which I hate, and mine turned out terrifying so I haven't pictured it here. We watched Copy Shop (2001) by Virgil Widrich.... it was alright, quite a sweet concept and done immaculately. Very clever indeed.

Third was The Shining by Stanley Kubrick. Using three concertina pieces, we drew from the movie again. Shelley Duvall has the most amazing face to draw, and as MaHa (Mark Harris) put it, her face 'completely melts' and I totally agree. As much as I HATE horror movies, She just has one of these faces that I'd love to draw. I've realised I've never had to draw anyone in pain, or in anger or tears before, and it was quite interesting to portray something like that.



After lunch was Vertigo (1958) by Alfred Hitchcock. What I loved most were the colours, and in hindsight I have no idea why I didn't use colour. Mostly panic I think because everything I was producing was shit. But that's the kind of experience we all have to have I suppose... Foundation was no exception. It makes you hunger. We drew on some strips that MaHa had collected off one of last years graduate final piece offcuts, and I have even taken some for self directed tomorrow. 


I decided to carry on with the strips for our last film. Umberto D. (1952) by Vittorio di Sica is really such a gorgeous film. I decided to stick to the materials I know....the trusty poscas, and just relax for a little bit. It turned out better, and perhaps my best stuff of the day.