21 March 2015

Penguin Book Cover: Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit.

This year I finally got around to submitting to the Penguin book cover competition. After reading about Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, I really, really, really wanted to make a cover for it. Admittedly, I watched the series rather than reading it (time issues obvs) but it gave me enough information to get my teeth into it!

From looking at previous covers, what I disliked was that there wasn't a clear connotation with religion. Given my Catholic girl background, I felt like I was in good stead to put in some biblical references. I went for an Italian biblical fresco/painting style, mixing it with a super 70s wardrobe. I also wanted to lightly reference the biblical story of 'The Adulterous Woman', where Jesus stands up for a woman who is accused of adultery. The crowd is ready to stone her to death, so I thought I would position them the way that many painters have placed Jesus and the woman, with a few oranges as though they could have been stoned by them.

I'm pretty happy with this cover, and I'm so relieved to have finally been able to submit one! As much as it's not a particularly 'graphic' style, I think it does show the complexity of the themes in the book. It's a book that is totally up my street, questioning girlhood, faith and the way that society sees and uses religion.