13 March 2015

An Update.

Apologies for the lack of content this year, and I think it's about time for an update. I'll try my best to remember two months worth of what I've been up to!

Since January, we've been working on our final projects, which has been a little bit of a roller coaster for me. After finishing and handing in dissertation (yay!), this project has pretty much been the sole concentration of my brain...not all of it has been healthy. It's taken a lot to get to the end but I suppose that happens with all big projects like these. I decided to continue my topic on girls and girlhood in this project, and all the concept and ethics of it really got to me. I really felt, and still feel, a need to get it right, and I think a marked, university setting isn't always the best place to ask these questions. After all, I can understand that it needs to communicate clearly, even if the subject is incredibly complex. Right in the middle of this project I really put myself under a lot of stress and strain, and I think it goes to show you can really really overthink things. A LOT. There has been a lot of crying and arguing with myself, and persuading my tutors about the concept which I know and believe that a lot of girls and women will and do understand. But, I think that it is limited to a certain age group, one that has experienced their girlhood in the same (or later) generation as myself. But in the end, I have made it out alive and our crit is on Monday, so I will be relieved to put the topic to rest. At least for now.

On top of all this, I have also managed to somehow find time to do other things. Crazily enough, I've started a few collaborations with the fabulous Ruby Smith and another animation with Rosa and a bigger team of people. I've also started volunteering for the Kingston School of Art Archive, which landed me to another job working with the fashion department here.... so I'm back on the Fashion illustration train! So so so many exciting things going on, and in a way, final project has proven not to be the most important. I think for me, if I'm only focused on one design process I really get in trouble with freaking myself out. It's been helpful to have been able to step back, and have the morale from all my friends. Also, not going to lie, but playing Sims on iPad has been helping me to live out a different life...sometimes you just need a break you know?

Also an update on 'The Future' (??!), back in January I actually applied for an MA in History of Design at the Royal College of Art (!!!!!!). I've had an interview, and have yet to hear back about my application... I have all my digits crossed for it. After writing dissertation, I just know there is so much more I can get my teeth into; I really feel that side of me needs some nourishing. I know that I will forever carry on drawing, painting, filming, making, but I do think I was also born a thinker. I might not be able to create the most appropriate things all the time, but I have so many ideas about the future of design and how it can help us at least develop solutions for this world. So yeah, I'm doing a lot of hoping and praying.

I have a few more things to show you and tell you about, so I will try my best to keep you posted. I won't let you down!