14 August 2012

Thomas Heatherwick


I think from a designers point of view, the London 2012 Olympic cauldron by Thomas Heatherwick was the ultimate star of the show.

Seriously... Ennis, Bolt and Farah are just miniscule in comparison.

I watched all 3 hours of the opening ceremony, and God I was glad to have got to the ending just for this torch. I was wow-ing and ahhh-ing and oh-my-God-ing at how bloody gorgeous it is. There's no other torch that I can think of that will be this memorable. I also think the idea of the copper petals was genius, holding symbolism in the 'countryside' theme of the opening, the movement of the torch opening and closing referencing to the opening and closing of a flower. Genius, genius, genius. I think that this Olympics has been lovely for uniting all the different countries; you can see the chemistry between the athletes, and you can see the true friendship that has taken place between them. It's so...nice!

I hope that this cauldron isn't forgotten. I'd love to see it lit so beautifully again. It proved just how innovative and beautiful British design can be, triumphing over other countries as much as we triumphed in medals this summer.