04 June 2014

Surprise! V&A Illustration Awards.

Forgive me, I've been keeping this from you for a long time...
But I'm ecstatic to announce that I am this years Runner up for the V&A Illustration Awards in the Student category!!!! 

I submitted three drawings from my fashion illustrations at Fashion Scout in November, and kind of forgot that I did until a few months ago when I received the email. I am so unbelievably happy and relieved that this work in particular stood out to them, just because I cared about it so much and didn't feel I got much credit for it at the time. I guess that it feels like I've fulfilled what I wanted to achieve from it, especially amidst GFW too. I really look forward to getting more involved in it, much more than in commissions and drawing itself.

I'd really like to thank the Fashion Scout team that year, Josh Walker, Josh Osborn, Asia Werbel and Max Barnett in particular, for the support at the time and still now. I was really a nervous wreck on that first day, and it makes a huge difference to have friends along the way. Also Ezzidin Alwan who introduced me to the opportunity in the first place, and of course Hannah, Natalie and Mike, who fed me cold pizza when I got home.

I got an amazing trophy (it's really heavy, like a brick) and £1000 (!!!) which is going towards a trip to Chicago after I graduate. I'm glad I planned where it was going beforehand! Jonas, Rosa, Ani and I celebrated with a sushi dinner and gorging on the free prosecco and strawberry and mango ice tea. If you're around, my work is temporarily exhibited in the V&A (!!!!!!!!!!) across from library. Excuse the shit photos, they had a lot of mood lighting, so I think I'll return for some better photos when I've recovered from drawing.