22 May 2014

Kingston University: Major Improvement Project

For the last project, this year we were supposed to be improving on a previous project from the year. I decide to adapt my book project to become an educational app. I decided to aim for it to be in a specific setting. Seeing as my original drawings had been made at the Horniman Museum, I decided to make it for them to use.

The project was to plan an idea for a children's educational app based around the Horniman Aquarium. It was a crazy thing to plan, a much bigger job than I anticipated in the beginning. But it was a project that I'd really wanted to do in a long time, and I'm really glad that I managed to finalise the idea at least, even if the interactive, animated parts weren't so finished.... I promise it's a hell of a lot harder than it looks to make the real thing!

These pictures here are actually version 002... After the critique I had planned to meet the curator of the Aquarium and the Digital Manager at the Horniman. It's possibly among the most nerve-wracking things I've ever done; pitching by yourself is very scary! The verdict of that though went quite well, although an app is never going to be apparent (turns out they are extremely expensive to make...).






Maybe it makes sense to conclude this year. I've really enjoyed this year, and it seems to have made a difference in my work. It's hard not to find fault in the things we make, but I feel more comfortable with the I-probably-can't-and-won't-freelance thing. I think my tutors can see what I'm made of. This summer,  I am sticking around in London. I'm hoping for some kind of work experience to crop up, but I am otherwise keeping myself busy in the house! I'm really looking forward to visits from friends and lots of mini projects! Rosa and I are being especially productive at the moment...