05 May 2014

Kingston University: Book Project and a Long Awaited Update.

I am so, so so sorry for the lack of blogposts recently, and well I can only blame myself and our final project. But you'll be pleased to know it's going really well this end! And with only three weeks left, I am dying to have some summer time here in London. Reading, writing, seeing and doing is all on the agenda.

So, update. Along with the POP project critique, we also had our book project. The reason why I didn't post up anything was because this year, our final projects are meant to be 'Major Improvement Projects' (not the catchiest of names, but you get the idea) and I decided to extend my book project. My final crit is on Wednesday (EEK) but I'm really happy with the result so I will show you in due course! We also had a much needed three weeks off at Easter, of which I spent a week or so at home. Still working of course. But I honestly have been enjoying everything so much at the moment; I guess every low will eventually have it's high with the right mindset. Admittedly, there has been very very little drawing, but I've realised that's not necessarily where my strength lies...and that's okay with me. I'll still always be drawing. But I hope it means that the pressure is off my back now and I can really enjoy drawing again.

As a taster, I'll show you a few frames from my book project.

We were given very free reign for this project, and we could make a physical book or a digital one. Funnily enough I was the only person to try out digital. I wanted to have a go, mainly to see if I could do some simple drawn animation... It was a really tough job, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I started out with my location drawings from first year of aquariums (excuse the terrifying photos... what a rookie), and I've been meaning to do something with them for quite a long time. I wanted to make an educational book, but that soon got changed around a little to create a narrative. The plan for me was to pitch an idea, including all the animations and interactive ideas which I didn't have to show myself, just more of the idea aspects of it. The story follows a sardine called Sonny who decides to leave the shoal to make some new, more interesting friends.








Honestly, it is just very much a self indulgent project... I really just love drawing fish. It must just be a trait from my mum, but I just find it fascinating. And it gave me an excuse to watch all the The Blue Planet on Netflix. For my final project, I've adapted this a little bit... stay tuned! Lots of exciting things to come!