05 February 2014

Kingston University: POP Project and In the Making Exhibition

This term is probably the most exciting for me, mainly because we get to do a lot of making. Our big project this term is the POP Project, Print and Object Project. Obviously I was screaming inside, because print and object are possibly my most favourite things in the world. Its mainly process (YAY) so it's not necessarily that I have to come up with a concept straight away.

We were advised to go and see the new exhibition at the Design Museum called In the Making. It's really worth going, and the whole museum has great exhibitions on at the moment (PAUL SMITH!). Despite the kind of annoying spot lighting, I thought the exhibition was curated really well and I liked the objects they had decided to show. Very normal, sometimes mundane objects were shown, and yet the objects became something else!





I actually would quite like a piece of tennis ball felt for myself actually.

For this project I really wanted to use wood. After visiting Jonas' family in Germany, with an enormous collection of woodcut prints in their library no less, I've become a little bit obsessed. 

So far my research has just been in collecting, although I plan to do some more. This is definitely something I want to pursue long term, so it's been pretty great so far getting to do this for a whole project that is 8 weeks long!




Since then, Ani and I have been hacking at fallen trees, collecting twigs, mostly in torrential February rain. But I'm hoping to get some more printing done soon! I'll be sure to keep you all posted.