20 February 2013

Fashion Scout: Day 1

Yesterday marked the end of Fashion Scout, and for the whole of London Fashion Week. I have to say, I have never worked so hard, drawing pretty much 10-8pm every day for five days, and it has been so much fun. I really really loved every second of it, drawing beautiful clothes on beautiful models, and really just trying my best to put across as much of my week as possible. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to do it again in future seasons to come. 

Over the next few days, I'll do an overview of each day at Fashion Scout, my favourites, how I drew them, and just generally what I thought about them. I will try and put on as many drawings from the day as possible, but I have selected the best ones of the day. Note that on each day I averaged about 15 to 20 drawings (!!!), and given the circumstances, some were pretty shit. On the other hand, some were pretty good and towards the end of the week, there's a definite improvement in my life drawings. The majority of my drawings were drawn at the scene and not from photos, so you can imagine that my days were pretty intensive. Back-to-back shows, and also drawing backstage too!

Okay so.... Day 1:
You can imagine that I was nervous as hell, the first time I'd ever done anything so big before. The first time anything of mine would be published! It was sort of a miracle that I'd even got the job in the first place. I arrived with the jitters, easily THE worst example of blagging and confidence every witnessed. Thankfully, the team were so welcoming to me, particularly Max, one of the photographers, and the two Josh's, one a blogger, and the other also an illustrator, made me feel more relaxed by the end of the day. I drew at the shows for Apu Jan, Timur Kim, Liz Black, Krystof Strozyna and Nova Chiu. Belle Sauvage was there too, and I was so gutted that I missed it! Favourite show of the day was Nova Chiu by far, the colours and textures... I just loved them. The shoes in particular was my fave, and I love the black and striped velvet dress (drawn below). However, my favourite drawing of the day was from Timur Kim backstage, who we shared a room with. Our HQ is based at the back of one of the upstairs dressing rooms, so at times it got pretty cramped! The girls for Timur Kim had really sweet hair backstage, and I'm glad I captured it pre-show before the clips got taken out into rolling waves of hair.

Nova Chiu, Backstage

Nova Chiu, show

Liz Black, preview

Yulia Kondranina, Exhibition

Timur Kim, Backstage