07 January 2013

Kingston University: Drawing Day 12, Self-Directed Drawing, Horniman Museum

This is an extremely belated post, as I did all of these drawings before Christmas! But then it needed to go for assessment, and THEN I went home and left this book here, so it has been a little neglected! As has this blog actually, and I am truly sorry, I have much to inform you about!

Anyway, these drawings are from my self-directed book, and after my second location, I had really run out of places to go to draw... but then during location drawing, Stephen mentioned that there's an aquarium at the Horniman Museum, a fairly small museum in Forest Hill. I was ecstatic to find a smaller, much more affordable place to visit, and after my first trip, I discovered that their Natural History section was also really very detailed; just perfect for this project! I ended up going twice, because I was really quite unhappy with the first visit's drawings. It turned out to be a really good thing, and I finally feel like the outcome is finished and conveys the colour and vibrancy I wanted to capture. 








My last assessment went well, and I'm fairly satisfied with my results at the end of the first term... Anything I'm unhappy with is my own downfall, I really don't feel like I have done enough! This is going to change over this second term, I'm really motivated to take myself to the next level. I'm most proud of this project, in hindsight, as I really felt like I pushed myself to explore new places, and I will be trying to use the material in this for a surface pattern, and my tutors also suggested I try animating these too! I was surprised to hear them tell me that they think I would be suited to animation, and it has made me think whether I would choose it as my second year option... More likely, I think I would just like to develop it for a time and add to my skills! Of course, you all will be the first to see.