20 January 2013

Kingston University: Adaptations Project.


From the Christmas project, we were instructed to adapt one of our responses into a storyboard and/or an animatic. If you know me, you'll know that storyboards are my worst nightmare, so it was kind of a bad project to start on... on the other hand, it didn't turn out too horrifically, and my tutors felt the idea was strong, which makes it alright with me. The drawing was not up to my usual standards for myself, and it showed, but then for me, it did communicate enough what was happening. I think this would have been even more effective if I could produce it digitally, but alas, it always is easier to say in hindsight.




I think with the subject I had chosen, it was difficult to have that balance of accuracy and yet the roughness of an animatic. I feel like it was more successful and communicated better as a storyboard, or alternatively as an animation would have worked better. However, I was particularly happy with these three images. I'd drawn each object out on tracing paper, which then could be easily moved into place when taking the photos in the animation studio. The tracing paper gives it a pretty nice effect, showing all the different layers of the drawing as separate pieces.

I was also excited to revisit the types of drawing I did back in Graphics GCSE. It was something I really relished, and I feel that this shows how much I have retained from all of that education. Its something else I can add to my skills list, and I feel like I have really benefited from it. There were some really awesome animatics, and although animation is something I'd like to work into and improve on... I don't think I have the patience, or the obsessiveness that you need to be an animator full time. However, I am planning to animate some of my self-directed book from last term, so I shall keep you posted.

In other news, I am actually re-photographing my portfolio, as these photos are truly getting poorer and poorer quality, apologies! I really have to work out a way of managing good lighting in this room. However, I will be using the photography studio next week to just photograph my entire portfolio so far to start sending things off to interning positions and just so I have something to show people whenever they ask for it! It's a big job that I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to doing, but it most definitely will pay off.