26 November 2012

Kingston University: Brave New World.

Our last project was the longest one we've had so far, using the House of Illustration competition brief. Basically, we were challenged to illustrate 3 scenes and the cover for Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, with the hopeful intention of submitting it eventually. Check out the brief here.

After finishing the project though, I decided against submitting, so I'm going to just post it on here and see what you guys think... Maybe it's worth a try? I'm not sure though, it's definitely not my best work so far, but I feel like I really challenged myself, which is what all of this is all about right?

Ok, so here they are:





So if you've read Brave New World, you might have a good idea where these scenes occur... The first is the cover. I started with the religious connotations that the book includes, and a lot of the characters hold reference to Biblical characters too. That's when I got onto glass and frescos, but I really struggled with actually getting to these designs. Three weeks is not long at all in the grand scheme of things! The hardest part was actually photographing the pieces, and I'm only really happy with the cover. Funnily enough, it was the last image I made. 

The set didn't go down too well in the critique, but I think I quite liked how they turned out. I'm not sure how well they work as book images though, so I doubt I'll submit these in at all. It was an experience working with glass, and although I'd like to do some more in the future, I won't be doing so much soon... I need all my cuts to heal first! It does make me incredibly interested in trying out 3D mediums though, particularly ceramics... It must be in my blood, seeing as my auntie does a lot of ceramics too! Hopefully I'll be able to feature her work up here soon too.