23 November 2013

Shunga: sex and pleasure in Japanese art

As part of some research for an upcoming project, I thought I'd pop into The British Museum, which also happened to house this exhibition... And I was curious to go and have a look. I was most definitely not disappointed.


Our tutor loves print and we'd visited the Tate Britain print rooms the year before, so I'd been introduced and intrigued with woodblock before. I think it's an incredibly brave exhibition to hold especially in Britain, what with our 'British reserve', but I think that it was an incredibly enlightening for everybody. I'll admit, it was much more explicit than I thought but then I think it's a great thing for us to see, and to be exposed to the Japanese opinion on sex and erotic art. 

I've been working on a woodblock for another project, will definitely put some up for you guys to look!